After 2 years of an oven-breakdown, my oven has been RESURRECTED!
Hallelujah – seriously!
So naturally, the first thing I will bake is cake!
This cake contains the following:
– and nourishment both for the mind and body.
Goodness and nourishment comes from the quality of ingredients.
The healthy and essential fats in almond meal and coconut oil help fuel our brain function, feed our skin for healthy looking skin, keep our heart happy, balance our hormones and help create Vitamin D.
Dates are nature’s chewy caramel, minus the refined toxic sugar, packed with natural sugar, fibre and iron.
Cacao is chocolate in its original form before it gets processed and added to more nutritionally-depleted ingredients to be wrapped up in a pretty box. One of the healthiest foods on the planet, chocolate in its raw form, is rich in magnesium, calcium, iron and antioxidants.
Buckwheat is a wheat and gluten-free grain that is high in bioflavonoids that promote anti-inflammatory properties along with fibre and protein.
So eating cake is good for you after all! And plus orange and chocolate just go so well together.
This cake DOES NOT contain the following:
– refined sugar
– or artificial flavourings.
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups almond meal (blanched or unblanched)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups cups medjool dates (depitted)
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 organic eggs
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 5 drops DoTerra Wild Orange essential oils
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (eg. almond, coconut, macadamia)
How to make:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (pretty sure I cried tears of joy at this simple moment)
2. In a bowl mix the dry ingredients together: almond meal, coconut and buckwheat flour, cacao powder and baking powder.
3. Place dates into a food processor and blend until it becomes a paste. To help blend the dates, just add some of the milk.
4. Add the date paste to the flour mix and add remaining wet ingredients: 2 eggs, zest and orange juice, essential oil drops, melted coconut oil and mix.
5. Pour into a cake tin lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until inserting a toothepick into the centre comes out clean.