Grown in Mexico and South America, chia seeds are said to have been used as early as 3500 B.C by Aztec cultures for supernatural powers.
I’m unsure about the supernatural powers, but what I do know, is that despite their size, these little seeds have impressive health benefits.
Here are my TOP 8 REASONS TO EAT CHIA SEEDS EVERYDAY:
1. Very high in FIBRE – 11 grams in just a tablespoon – this helps with keeping you feeling fuller for longer as it slows the absorption of food and can keep your bowel motions regular – we want them looking like smiling logs!
2. Super high in OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS – 32% omega 3 – but oh no they don’t make you fat, quite the opposite actually, they also improve brain health, improve skin and reduce high cholesterol – a great vegetarian/vegan source – ensure to grind or place in a blender to extract the omega 3.
3. A great source of ANTIOXIDANTS – helps protect your body fighting against diseases and keep your body looking and feeling younger – who doesn’t want that?
4. Vegans this one’s for you, use it as an EGG REPLACER – because they expand in liquid, they develop a gelatinous coating, which can be used to replace eggs in cooking – mix 1 tbs chia seeds and 3 tbs water, then wait 15 minutes & you don’t have to miss out on your favourite recipes.
5. Aids in WEIGHT LOSS – because they expand in liquid, they can also be used to carb sugar cravings & increases satiety thanks to the high fibre and protein content.
6. Improves BONE HEALTH – these tiny seeds are also high in the bone minerals: calcium, phosphorus & magnesium, therefore can help prevent osteoporosis. In fact, just 50 grams (or 1/3 cup) of chia seeds is equivalent to drinking 1 cup of cow’s milk – vegans you’ll love to know that these are a great dairy alternative.
7. Aids in the prevention of HEART DISEASE – thanks to the high omega 3 component, which reduce harmful cholesterol and increase protective cholesterol and reduce high blood pressure.
8. Reduces the risk of TYPE 2 DIABETES – they help regulate insulin (the hormone carrying your sugar in the blood) and therefore reduce insulin resistance.
Before you go to bed, add 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds in a glass of water, mix and skull almost immediately. If you already have flaxseeds (aka linseeds) in their whole form, you can also use it the same way as chia. If you’re body is new to chia seeds or flaxseeds, then start with 1 tablespoon and build up to 2.
Another option is to consume chia seeds in water first thing in the morning even before having your breakfast (don’t worry and your coffee) as a great way to cleanse and detox your body before you start the day.
They are SO easy to use: sprinkle raw to breakfast cereals, toast, salads, stir-fries – any meal, to add a crunchy texture or even add inside your water bottle (wait a few minutes to see what happens).
This chia pudding recipe will take you less than 5 minutes to make for a yummy, filling and satisfying breakfast for 5 days – hence why I make it once a week!
As chia pudding becomes increasingly popular, many companies add hidden sugars, preservatives and are dairy-based. Creating your own chia pudding is healthier and allows you to choose your own variation. Experiment with different milk-substitutes, natural sweeteners, fruits and toppings.
Rest assure, this recipe is DAIRY, GLUTEN, REFINED SUGAR, SOY and EGG-FREE
What you’ll need:
- 1 litre almond milk
- 1/2 cup orange blossom water (more if you prefer stronger taste)
- 2 cups chia seeds
- 1 mango (diced)
- cacao nibs (optional for topping)
- sliced fruit of choice (optional for topping)
How to make:
1. In a bowl, combine almond milk, orange blossom water and chia seeds & whisk.
2. Add diced mango and gently fold into mixture.
3. Pour into 5 glasses & place into fridge overnight.
4. Remove from fridge and top with cacao nibs and choice of fruit. I added a sliced banana and a handful of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
Breakfast for a week completed in 5 minutes!
Makes 5 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes
Create your desired Chia pudding for a week, plus drink an extra glass of filtered water, and see how marvelous your bowel motions are every day – remember we want them looking as smiling logs!